Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I have a confession

I think I started out with some sort of illusion about what being a mommy would be like because the first few weeks home with Jacob were mostly rather terrible. It almost makes me feel a little bit guilty to admit it, but it was bad. The first day we were home it was like my little man completely forgot how to nurse. Every time I would try to feed him he started choking and gasping and would spit up whatever bit he managed to eat, and he started wanting to eat every twenty minutes because he wasn't getting what he needed. I was going on three or four days with literally no sleep, and still in constant pain from my surgery. It hurt to try to move him to a better position, it hurt when he wriggled while crying, it even hurt just to hold him for any length of time. Emotionally I was a wreck. I knew my baby needed food, he was so hungry, and crying all the time! I couldn't figure out why breastfeeding wasn't working all of a sudden, I even did internet searches on how to get a good latch, or why a baby would end up with so much air while nursing...but none of it helped. Multiple times that day I was sitting on the edge of the couch holding my screaming newborn just sobbing because I didn't know what to do. Eventually I was able to get in touch with a breastfeeding counselor from the classes I had been attending and she helped me figure out a hold that worked. I'll never forget the relief I felt when Jacob was actually able to eat and didn't spit up afterwards. He fell asleep in my arms and I was able to nod off for a little bit.

I think that being deprived of sleep made everything seem harder than it was. I got so overly stressed and worried about everything. I was up again for the fifth time in a single night, had nursed Jacob and was just waiting impatiently for him to fall asleep again so I could stumble back to my own bed. We had been sitting there for about 10 minutes already, it felt like an eternity. His eyelids were just starting to droop closed again, when -for the third time- he kicked his legs into my incision and popped his eyes wide open. I had had it! I was so tired, and still so very sore, and to my tired mind it felt like he was purposely doing everything he could to stay awake, just to punish me for some unknown reason. I very roughly stood up and put him by himself on the bed saying "I can't do this right now!" But then his eyes got real wide and he started to sob. I felt like the worst mom ever...again.

I knew having a newborn would be hard and demanding and tiring, but I had such high standards for myself, started out wanting to be so perfect. I thought I would be able to not get frustrated or upset, that I would want to hold and snuggle my baby most of the day, be perfectly content and happy to be his only source of food, never use a pacifier, never put him back to bed when I knew he had a wet diaper. I thought my baby would sleep through the night at 2 weeks and that until then having to get up with him would be easy. Reading this now I realize how conceited I must have been. That changed though.  I started doubting myself, I was constantly feeling like a failure, like a terrible mother, feeling guilty because I got frustrated with my sweet precious baby again, wondering if my baby was unhappy because he was fussing so often, feeling like I was too dependent on my sweet husband (who was so willing to change Jacob's diaper anytime he needed it). I felt like such a wimp because I had never heard anyone talk about just how long recovery from a c-section would take, I had never heard anyone complain about the fact that lack of sleep would be so emotionally and physically taxing, never had anyone mention that when the baby was getting a diaper change and suddenly peed on the wall and spit up at the same time I would feel so overwhelmed I would start crying. I was to the point that I questioned my ability to be a good mom and I started wondering if I was the only one who had ever had this much trouble, the only one who questioned if maybe it had been too soon for me to have a baby, maybe I should have waited a few more years and I could have handled it better?
All of which is why I'm writing this post. Now that things have gotten better (My incision is almost pain free, and my little man is a month old and sleeping 4-5.5 hours in one stretch the first part of the night) it would be so tempting to just write about the wonderful parts of being a mom: the sleepy smiles, the gasps that I can only assume are Jacob's way of laughing right now, the three hour afternoon naps, the sweet little snores, the fact that he doesn't scream when we bathe him anymore, the emerging personality... I just wanted other struggling first time moms to know that they aren't alone in the stress. And it's not true that you're the only one. I imagine that if I were to start asking around each and every woman who is a mom had times that they doubted themselves, or got so frustrated they had to just stop and walk away for a moment, or had an emotional breakdown and sobbed all over their hubby...it's just not something that's talked about I guess.

So, just in case you're wondering:
Yes, I do get frustrated sometimes still. Especially when Jacob is taking an hour to go back to sleep in the middle of the night.
Yes, I do snuggle him sometimes during the day, but I often put him in his swing, bouncy chair, or crib to nap while I do housework, or even just sit and watch a tv show.
Yes, there are still times when I put Jacob back to bed even when I know he has a wet or poopy diaper. It just depends on how bad it is, how long he's been in it, and how difficult I think it would be for him to get back to sleep after I change it.
Yes, I am Jacob's only source of food, but there are definitely times when I wish my husband could be the one to get up and feed him at 5am, or that I could just give him a bottle when we're at church and he's hungry again. He has had one bottle of pumped milk just so I knew he would do okay with a bottle if we ever leave him with his grandma (Valentine's day date?)
I do use a pacifier, as much as I was completely against the idea. And, I admit it has been wonderful to help him get a better eating schedule (nursing for 5 minutes every hour was getting to be a hassle) and soothe himself to sleep.
No, Jacob isn't sleeping through the night yet, and the longer periods of sleep have made getting up easier, but it still isn't easy.

What's your newborn experience?
Please tell me I'm not the only one!


And now, pictures. What's a baby related post with no pictures?
See? My baby cries. This particular time he was hungry



Such a sweet little man

10 comments:

  1. I have felt the same way many times. It does still happen even with my girls being older. I have had moments of wondering did I do the right thing in having kids and am I making them into godly women and good women. When they were babies my oldest would not let me put her down to go to the bathroom and it made me feel like a bad mom. So yes we all feel this way and it happens.It does not make you a bad mom it just makes you a mom and a good mom for being strong enough to walk away when you are upset or frustrated.. Good job Mom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input and encouragement! I'm starting to realize that questioning decisions and doubting themselves is normal for any parent! It helps to remind myself that my baby doesn't have to end up being perfect, my husband and I just have to do our best to love him, provide for him, and train him to be a godly man.

      Delete
  2. YOu are not the only one:)With our first Noah siggghhhhhh..I was floored by all of it. I remember putting hm in his crib walking outside to the edge of our drive way and just crying. Thinking all I want to do is snuggle with my hubby lay on the couch and watch a movie. Sleep deprivation was a new thing for me. I had no idea how much I was needed as a mom. Noah had a horrible latch and I cried for about a month everytime he nursed. Finally at 4 a.m. I called my mom crying and said "why didnt you tell me!! This is so horrible the pain is killing me.." I was even showering with a bathing suit top on...I thought I would fail as a mother for giving him bottle..my mom told me"Renee you love him no less by giving him formula.Go ahead its ok.." I think most of us moms put crazy expectations on themselves and sometimes we feel others do it to us too. It has gotten easier with each child I will say. With our fourth one Eli I came to love those late nights because I know they will end. I love reading my Bible while feeding him or watching a late show with him on the couch. Praying over him as well as myself. Clinging to the Lord is the way to get through the rough nights:) I love how transparent your blog is Sadie and thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we make it harder for ourselves by worrying about measuring up to other mom's, or other people's expectations. I know I was getting a lot of differing advice about helping Jacob's sleeping patterns and it definitely added to my stress. I am relieved to hear that it gets easier with following children! Perhaps partially because we know what to expect? I did start praying for my precious little Jacob during the night feedings. My deepest desire for him is that he come to know and love the Lord and live for Him. Thank you for the encouragement, and for sharing a bit of your experience! I just want other people to realize that someone else may be struggling with the exact same things.

      Delete
  3. One day at a time!!! I realized this time would be more difficult when I went to the bathroom, while holding a nursing baby and Skylar sitting on the bathroom floor playing. With Skylar nursing was so painful I cried EVERY TIME he nursed and finally at 5 weeks Dave begged me to stop and to give him formula. I firmly believe God made babies adorable so when they don't sleep, spit up everything they eat, poo nonstop, pee over the clean clothes when your changing them, love enables you to see past the hard parts.Otherwise we would eat our young, like other animals do...You are doing great,keep praying and a year from now, you'll actually miss when he was this small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like sticking with breastfeeding no matter what is one of the biggest issues raised for mommas. But I definitely think that there are times when using formula ends up being better for mom and baby! Especially if the mom is going through such excruciating pain when nursing.
      I agree that the fact that Jacob is so adorable makes the loving him through the hard times easier. I love just watching him grow and learn already! I know this is such a special time, and it's going by so fast!

      Delete
  4. You are not alone. I think that we have such high expectations of ourselves that it's quite a letdown when we find out that we're not "super-mom" after all. Remember, no one is. ;-) All we can do is love our children to the best of our ability - and when it gets too overwhelming, just take a break. Seriously - put the baby down in a safe place and take a moment to regroup. Even now that my children are older, I will still "take a moment" when they are being particularly difficult. If you can, find another mom who's got some experience under her belt, so you can bounce things off her. It really helps to get a new perspective on something when you're able to discuss issues with someone who can relate. And at the end of the day, God's got things under HIS control. Sending you lots of hugs & prayers. (PS - I'm a friend of Aprille's.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and encouragement! I have come to realize I'll never be a super-mom, but I'm okay with that now. And I have definitely had a few times where I set my little guy down in his crib (or handed him to his daddy) and had to just walk away. Even though it was hard to hear him continuing to cry without trying to soothe him, I know it's better to not continue trying when I start getting frustrated. And what a blessing to know that God is in control, that He knows how difficult this can be for me, and that He'll get me through it if I rely on Him!!

      Delete
  5. Sadie, You are not alone! Having a baby is very hard. Especially with your 1st it is such a shock! You never can understand what it is like until you experience it. One of the hardest parts was feeling like I lost my independence, never realized it would be such an issue. I just had my 3rd and we had BF problems as well,but it is so worth it to me when I see his smiling face and the amazing little person he is becoming! Things will get better as he gets a little older and you start to get more sleep. Hang in there and you can always cry out to the Lord when you are having one of those bad nights...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. I do think that a lot of the struggles have just been from the shock of everything involved in taking care of a newborn, they are so very needy. The smiles do make everything worth it! That and having him calm down when I pick him up, seeing him start to interact with his daddy and me, etc. It's all so wonderful and new. Very true! There are still times when I pray for continued patience and strength when Jacob is waking up every hour and not wanting to sleep again. And I'm sure that those prayers won't be decreasing as my husband and I try to raise him into a godly man.

      Delete