Friday, August 31, 2012

A whine

There's this song that has a line in it that goes:
"I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down"

I just want to say, that is not my theme song right now. I feel like this week has just been one thing after another, and I don't want to get back up again. I want to lay in bed and sob and then just sleep until things get better. I am so exhausted, so worn out.

Monday I woke up with a terrible case of pink eye/conjunctivitis. I thought there was no need to worry though, I still had drops from last time I had it...two years ago. Fail. The drops had expired in January.
"Okay" I thought, "that just means they will take a bit linger to work, they're just not as potent."
Wrong again.
After using the drops all day Monday, and all day Tuesday there was absolutely no improvement. If anything my eye looked worse.

Tuesday was also moving day. Alex and I recently decided to move into a three bedroom duplex and leave our old apartment behind. Not that we were going that far, the new place literally shares a driveway.

Anyway, we spent all day Tuesday moving, we had some friends who were in town helping us, and we were able to get all the big stuff done. Though not without some difficulties: I stained my brand new jeans, and Jacob has a terrible cold and refused to nap the whole day.

Wednesday I called my mom to see what she used to use on our pink eye, and Alex took me to the pharmacy to get some boric acid. On the way in I didn't notice the curb and I ended up falling on my knees. Hard. Which resulted in wounded pride and trouble walking. We went in the store only to discover you can't get boric acid over the counter anymore, and the only suggestion they had for my pink eye was to "get a prescription". Have I mentioned that I have no medical insurance? And that with moving and buying a new vehicle money is just a bit tight?

That night I had what felt like the flu. Chills, aches, fever. I was miserable, and didn't sleep well.

Thursday came around...more of the same. Pink eye with no improvement, felt OK in the morning only to be chilled and exhausted by later in the afternoon, and burning up with fever all night. We had almost finished moving all our stuff down to the new place though! Mom brought me a medicine they use on their goats when they get pink eye. It seemed to help just a bit with the scratchiness.

Today has been day five of the pink eye, only now it's spreading into my other eye. I've used the goat medicine four times now with no improvement. I've now also tried chamomile tea, ice water, breastmilk...nothing has brought relief yet. I have decided that I will have to go in to a doctor, because I don't want to risk it spreading to my guys. The chills and aches seem to be gone for tonight though!

Now that I've met my quota of whining for at least a few months...I think I'm gonna head to bed. Tomorrow's another day and I still have hopes of a miraculous improvement overnight.

1 comment: