Thursday, July 26, 2012

My diet, a little more in depth.

I had a few comments on my last post asking if I could be a little more specific about what my diet entailed. I'm going to do my best to explain, but if you want the clearest understanding of it I recommend reading the book, The Metabolism Miracle. The book contains not only detailed descriptions of how and why the diet works, but also has the food lists, recommended supplements, and some recipes.

The basis of this diet is that some people have an abnormal metabolism, metabolism B, a hormonal imbalance that causes their body to over-process carbs and release excess insulin, which causes fat storage in the blood and body. The diet is made to help retrain your body (and you!) so that you can start processing carbs normally, and maintain a healthy weight.

The metabolism miracle consists of three steps.

Step one is an eight week period in which you allow your pancreas and liver to essentially "reset". In this step you eliminate all sugar, and are limited to a very specific timing, type, and amount of carbs. (5grams of low impact carbs only once every five hours) However, you are allowed to eat freely of most veggies, lean meats, low-fat cheeses, nuts, etc. It helps to have prepared a menu and completed a shopping trip before just jumping in. I felt like I spent the first week eating nothing but salad, tuna, and cottage cheese. You are also supposed to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. This way you will be using your muscles, and only the unused, stored fat will be lost.

In step two you re-introduce carbs. Again having very specific timing, type, and amount; but with a much broader choice. This step can last anywhere from eight weeks to however long it takes to reach your healthiest, happiest weight. Having new food options, and a bit more variety in allowed carbs, I found this step easier to maintain long-term. Continue with the exercise, but don't feel limited to only 30 minutes a day! I find that as my weight loss continues and my energy is picking up, I am even more motivated to workout.

Step three is simply a lifestyle of maintaining your newly found healthy weight. All sugars and carbs are allowed again, but by now you've learned how to eat them in a way that won't cause weight gain.

So there you have it! If you feel like you may benefit from this type of diet, if nothing else is working for you, or if you just want to learn more go check out The Metabolism Miracle!

Disclaimer: I was in no way compensated for this post. All praise and recommendations for the diet are from my own opinions and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment