Thursday, March 3, 2011

I need a better name for this!

So, one of the days this week I made a casserole that I came up with while experimenting with different recipes...what do I call it though? "Sadie's Casserole" sounds rather lame. Anyway, I thought I would share the recipe.
Disclaimer: almost all measurements are approximate.

Brown 1lbs of ground meat in a large pan (beef or sausage work best)


Cook ~1lbs of pasta (I prefer penne) Drain and set aside.

Have ready two 14oz cans of diced tomatoes (stewed tomatoes are pictured, but I discovered that the flavor was better when I used diced. Either will work), and 2 cups chopped spinach (I used frozen). Mushrooms are optional.

If using mushrooms, chop them into bite sized pieces.

Once the meat is cooked, add tomatoes and mushrooms (if using)

Then add the spinach

Stir in cooked pasta

Sprinkle in ~2tsp garlic powder, ~1 1/2 tsp cumin, and a dash or two of cayenne pepper


Mix well, and let simmer on low heat.

Preheat oven to 350
Use 8oz of cream cheese, softened. Add ~1 cup of sour cream

Add garlic, onion powder, cumin, and parmesan cheese to taste


Use a hand mixer to blend.


Beat until smooth


Spread half of the cheese mixture in the bottom of a 2qt baking dish
Put noodle mixture in the dish.

Spread remaining cheese mixture on top of the noodles

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese

Bake ~20minutes, or until heated through and cheese turns golden brown

Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving.

Enjoy! :)

6 comments:

  1. I think the way you did the pictures is awesome! It's like a cooking show via blogpost! :D This sounds super yummy, I'll definitely be giving it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, sounds good. Not much for names though, sorry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I did miss a few steps on the pictures though...mainly the sour cream,lol. Hope y'all like it as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of your name dilemma...what about "sassy lasagna casserole"? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brave and MMM that looks so yummy! It's so fun to cook and document it with pictures, though it takes about double the time to make anything ;) Oh, and I think Heidi's suggestion for the name is perfectly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, that sounds good Heidi! I might just call it that.

    Thanks Laura! you're right, it seemed to take a lot longer, hehe. *stir* "Oops! I forgota picture of that step!"
    I don't know how you did it for your birthday cake post..

    ReplyDelete