Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blackened pancakes?

  I have discovered that I am a bit of perfectionist. That's why this morning was so frustrating for me. I sneaked out of bed while Alex was still sleeping and decided to make pancakes. The recipe said to lightly grease the pan, so I used a bit of cooking spray. While the first pancake was cooking the grease started burning and smoking! Not wanting to set off the smoke alarm I turned on the fan. As soon as the pancake was cooked I ran the pan under cold water and scrubbed off the burnt grease. It was supposed to be a greased pan though, so I melted a little bit of butter on the pan and went back to making pancakes.

  The butter burnt too!

 I couldn't understand it, the burner was only on medium heat! I just went ahead and finished off the pancake batter, but each and every pancake was burnt. What a letdown! I was looking forward to waking up my hubby and offering him nice fluffy, golden brown pancakes. Instead, I had thin, blackened, crispy things that weren't even round. He ate them anyway though, and even liked them! What a sweetie. I can laugh about it now, but I wasn't laughing this morning. Really, who is able to mess up pancakes that bad?

6 comments:

  1. aww, how sweet! We've found that medium low is normally the highest you want to use, and, if you thoroughly preheat the pan they shouldn't stick even with no grease. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds like quite the kitchen "escapade" as we would call it around here ;) I would probably end up doing the sammeee thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heidi! I'll have to remember that :)

    Hehe, Laura, I think I did! Surprised I didn't make more of a mess ;) I've had some doozies!

    Alex read this post and told me that I made the pancakes sound a lot worse than they were...I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my smoke alarm goes off when ever I cook...I finally unhooked it :P
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that's great Erin! I'm glad the alarm didn't go off this time. it did last week though when I was making egg rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention that when Jeb made pancakes last, he put in twice the amount of milk, and didn't catch it until he started cooking them. Once the batter ran all over the griddle he double checked the recipe. :D They were good, but definitely different!

    ReplyDelete